For a number of courses, mainly in the arts and social sciences, you may be asked to submit one or two examples of your written work (ideally marked) from your most recent studies. A discussion of this work may then form part of the interview.
Applicants will be asked to submit two pieces of recent written work in the following subjects:
- Architecture (No essay: please note that we would ask you to present a portfolio of recent work if invited to interview)
- Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic
- Asian & Middle Eastern Studies
- History & Modern Languages (two history essays if applying for an ab initio language, otherwise one history and one foreign language essay)
- History & Politics
- History of Art
- Human Social & Political Sciences
- Land Economy
- MML (one in each language you wish to study – if applying for an ab initio language then please send one foreign language essay and one in English)
- Psychological and Behavioural Sciences
- Theology Religion & Philosophy of Religion
We will request this from you when we receive your application; please do not send anything until requested. Essays should be from relevant subjects but can span the range of subjects on which you are working. If submitting two essays from the same subject, it is helpful if they are on separate topics. If your most recent course of study does not include any essay work, then please get in touch with the Admissions Secretary. Apart from courses with a foreign language element, writing must be in English. If your writing is in a language other than English, then translations are acceptable.
We will provide further guidance on the requirements for this written work, and a coversheet, on receipt of your application.
When requested, copies of marked essays should be send to the Admissions Secretary either as scanned copies via e-mail or by post. If sending hard copies please note that copies should be sent, as the originals will not be returned to you.
Information about submitted work can be found here: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/admission-assessments/submitted-work
If you have any queries about what you should submit or by when, please contact the Admissions Secretary.